Sweet And Sour Pork
Sweet And Sour PorkCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Fruits and Veggies
1 cup pineapple (highly recommend using fresh pineapple, but canned pineapple works too)
1 pepper (any color, cut into 1-inch cubes)
1/2 white onion (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 lb pork shoulder (cut into 1-inch pieces)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 onion (small, grated)
4–5 slices ginger (grated)
3 cloves garlic (grated)
1 cup potato starch (divided in 1/2) (can be substituted with corn starch)
Sweet & Sour Sauce
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Corn Starch Slurry (To Thicken Sauce)
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut the onions and peppers in 1-inch chunks and set aside
- If you are using fresh pineapple, core and peel it and then cut them into 1-inch chunks and set aside. If you are using canned pineapple, drain it and cut them into 1-inch chunks if you are using pineapple rings. Put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Marinating the Pork
- Cut the pork into 1-inch chunks and place it in a bowl.
- Grate the ginger, garlic, and onion and place it in the bowl with the meat.
- Add soy sauce to the bowl and mix everything very well.
- Let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Battering & Deep Frying the Pork
- Once the meat has finished marinating, in the bowl or plate – separate the meat slightly so they are not clumped together.
- Add half the potato starch over the meat and gently toss it in the potato starch until each piece has been coated with potato starch. Let it rest for 5 minutes until the potato starch has absorbed the marinade and moisture, and the batter looks gummy and moist.
- Add the rest of the potato starch on a large plate and dip each piece of pork into the potato starch one by one until each piece is well coated.
- If you are using a deep fryer, set the temperature to 350F (180C) and wait for the oil to get to temp. If you are using a frying pan, set the heat to medium heat and make sure there is at least 1 inch of oil in the pan.
- Add the meat in when the oil is hot, careful not to overcrowd the pan. (Depending on how big your pan is, you may need to do it in 2 batches). Cook the meat for approximately 5 minutes until it is crispy and browned.
- Remove the crispy pork and let it drain on a rack or a plate with something absorbent like newspaper or paper bag and set aside.
- Putting It Together
- In a clean frying pan, add in 2-3 tablespoons of oil, and set the stove to medium heat.
- Add in the tomato paste when the oil is hot and toast the tomato paste for 1-2 minutes until the oil has turned orange
- Add in the white vinegar, water, sugar and soy sauce and mix well and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the potato starch in cold water. Slowly pour it into the sauce but make sure you are constantly stirring it so it doesn’t clump.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add in the peppers, pineapples, and onions and cook it for 1-2 minutes. Use your spatula to separate the onion chunks into smaller pieces.
- Add in the crispy pork and coat each piece with the sweet and sour sauce once the meat has all been coated, turn off the heat.
- Plate it and serve with rice! Enjoy! 🙂