Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad SandwichCourse: Main courseCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
FOR THE SALAD:
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained + rinsed
3 stalks green onion
2 stalks celery
1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
1/4 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise vegan or regular
1-2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/8 tsp dried dill or fresh, to taste
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 TBSP unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
2 TBSP fresh chopped basil plus extra to taste
FOR THE SANDWICH:
multi-grain sandwich bread
arugula or romaine lettuce
extra basil as desired
optional tomatoes and/or red onion
TASTY SANDWICH SPREAD OPTIONS
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. I use both a potato masher and follow up with a fork to make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processor and skip the arm workout!
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles.
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas, then add mayo, dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sunflower seeds and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) and adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!