French Onion Smothered Pork Chops
French Onion Smothered Pork ChopsCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 – 5 pork chops , boneless (~ 150-200g/5-7oz each) (Note 1)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper
2 large onions , sliced into rings (brown, yellow or white)
2 garlic cloves , minced
1.5 tbsp / 25g butter (or olive oil)
1 tsp oil , if needed
Salt and pepper
1 cup/250ml beef broth/stock , low sodium
2 tbsp flour
4 slices cheese (Note 2)
Finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Caramelise Onions: Melt butter on medium (or medium low for strong stoves). Add onion and garlic, cook 15 minutes until golden brown and caramelised, stirring regularly (see video). Remove from skillet.
- Prepare Chops: Sprinkle chops with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sear: Add oil into skillet if needed. Turn heat up to high. Sear chops 1 minute on each side until nicely browned but not cooked inside. Remove onto plate.
- Gravy: Turn heat down to medium. Return onion into skillet, scraping in juices. Add flour, mix.
- Add beef broth and mix until incorporated. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer Chops in Sauce: When it comes to a simmer, give it a big stir then add pork chops.
- Top chops with cheese, cover with lid to melt and finish cooking the chops through – only 3 minutes for thin chops like I’m using. Internal temp of 160F/70C for no pink (or 155F/68C for blush of pink).
- Garnish: Remove lid, sprinkle with rosemary. Spoon over French Onion Gravy, then sprinkle with more rosemary.
- Serve immediately, over mashed potato or similar.