Date-Sweetened HorchataCourse: DrinksCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 cup organic white rice (or rice of choice)
2 cinnamon sticks (or 3/4–1 teaspoon ground)*
1/2 – 3/4 cup pitted Medjool dates
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups water
2 cups almond milk
A pinch of salt
- Soak the rice and cinnamon sticks (if using) in 4 cups of water 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Transfer the rice and cinnamon sticks to a high-speed blender along with all of the remaining ingredients except for the almond milk and blend for 2 minutes (it doesn’t have to be 100% pulverized). If you are using ground cinnamon, don’t add it in just yet! Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more dates for more sweetness if needed.
- Pour the blended liquid into through a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag and strain out the liquid as best you can. If you are using a nut milk bag, make sure you constantly grip the top to prevent any liquid or pulp from being expelled upward. Once strained, add the almond milk (and ground cinnamon if using) to the liquid and mix through.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Serve in glasses over ice. We like to add a shot of rum OR espresso to our glasses of horchata when serving to spice it up!