Creamy Smothered Pork Chops
Creamy Smothered Pork ChopsCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
6 bone-in pork chops, about 1 inch thick
salt & fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 large sweet onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1 – 298 mL can of chicken broth
¼ cup white wine (optional: you can use more chicken broth or water instead)
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 green onions, chopped
- In a skillet on medium/high heat, warm up 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Season the pork chops generously with salt and fresh ground pepper, on both sides.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the pork chops and transfer them to a plate.
- Using the same skillet melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the sliced onions, minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, and cook until soft and the moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the dried thyme and flour to the onion mixture, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and wine, and simmer until the sauce thickens. Make sure to scrape up and stir in all the good brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add a little extra water.
- Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream.
- Add the pork chops and simmer for about 10 – 15 more minutes, or until the chops are cooked thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions and serve over egg noodles or fettuccine noodles.