Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Creamy Pumpkin SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 slices bacon chopped
1-2 tablespoons butter optional
1 medium onion diced fine
1/2 cup carrot shredded
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
15 oz pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons parsley chopped and divided
1/2 cup croutons optional garnish
- In a skillet, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Remove bacon from skillet but keep the grease. Depending on how much fat renders from the bacon, you may need to add a bit of butter to make 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook to soften. Once opaque, stir in carrot and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in the brown sugar.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and cream and heat through. Using a hand blender, puree till smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and pour into soup bowls. Garnish with cream, croutons and crumbled bacon and remaining parsley.