Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Sausage
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with SausageCourse: Main CourseCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 lb. large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
2 tablespoons Olive oil
6 oz andouille sausage or smoked sausage (thinly sliced)
10 ounces fettuccine pasta
½ yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2-3 cloves garlic (chopped)
½ cup crushed tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Grated Parmesan
1 tbsp parsley (chopped)
- Toss shrimp with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and Oregano, and coat well. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and drizzle bottom of pan with olive oil.
- Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Flip shrimp over and cook another minute or two. Then remove to a plate and set aside. Drizzle pan with a little more olive oil, add sausage and brown until nicely caramelized, about 4 – 5 minutes. Remove to plate, set aside.
- Add pasta to salted boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Lower heat to medium and add a bit more olive oil to the pan, add the onion, red bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, and a generous pinch of salt. Sauté until onion and pepper have softened a bit, scraping up any browned bits that you can. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan, simmer a couple minutes.
- Once simmering, add Parmesan and stir into sauce. When Parmesan is blended in, add cooked pasta and sausage and stir to combine and heat through, 2 – 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and then lastly, add shrimp.
- Serve with chopped parsley.