Creamy Asparagus Pasta Recipe
Creamy Asparagus Pasta RecipeCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
water for boiling pasta
1 box (14.5 oz.) Barilla® ProteinPLUS® Farfalle Pasta
1 pound asparagus , cut into two-inch pieces, ends trimmed and discarded
1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion , finely diced
4 garlic cloves , minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose whole wheat white flour
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup skim milk
2 ounces room temperature cream cheese
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
Fresh chopped parsley , for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes; add prepared vegetables to the pot and continue to cook for 3 more minutes, or until al dente.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour and chicken broth; whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add broth mixture to the onion mixture in the pan.
- Whisk in milk; continue to whisk constantly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 1 more minute, or until thickened.
- Stir in the cream cheese; stir until melted.
- Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta and vegetables to the sauce; stir until completely combined.