Classic Chocolate Mousse
Classic Chocolate MousseCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
For the Chocolate Mousse:
4 large eggs
6 oz bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped or broken up
6 oz unsalted butter cubed
1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee or espresso
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Toppings:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp chocolate shavings
- How to Make Chocolate Mousse:
- In a medium heat-proof mixing bowl, combine 6 oz chopped chocolate, 6 oz butter, 1/4 cup coffee. Heat a medium saucepan with 2-inches of water to a boil. Place your bowl with chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water so the bowl over the steam and not touching the water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Separate eggs and put 4 yolks in a large heat-proof mixing bowl with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Place bowl over the saucepan of boiling water, and whisk until thickened, hot to the touch and lightened in color. Remove from heat. Use a spatula to stir chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, mixing until blended.
- Place 4 whites in a third medium bowl. Beat until foamy. Gradually add 1 Tbsp sugar and continue beating until medium peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter one third at a time, fully incorporating between each addition. Once all egg whites are in, stop folding when mousse is smooth and even in color.
- Divide mousse between 8 (4oz) ramekins, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or ideally overnight.
- How to Make Whipped Cream and Assembly:
- In a medium bowl, beat together heavy cream with 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract on medium/high speed until soft peaks form.
- Spoon generous dollops of whipped cream over chilled chocolate mousse cups and top with shaved chocolate and raspberries.