Chocolate MousseCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1+1/2 cups heavy cream (360ml)
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar (50g)
1+1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate, melted (262g / 9.2oz)
2 tbsp powdered sugar (15g)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, whisk together 3/4 cup heavy cream, egg yolks, and granulated sugar and heat over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil at any time. Remove from heat and continue whisking about 1 minute.
- Add melted chocolate and whisk consistently. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely. (If your chocolate ganache breaks, then read the blog post above to know how to fix the ganache easily.)
- With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk 3/4 cup heavy cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form about 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate cream with a whisk. Then gently fold in the remaining whipped cream with a wooden spoon.
- Serve immediately if desired (will be soft) or chill in an airtight container or sealed glasses in the fridge for at least 4-5 hours or overnight (recommended). Before serving remove from the fridge for 10-20 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency (will be firm and scoopable straight out of the fridge and gets softer the warmer it gets). Serve with additional toppings of your choice like berries, nuts, chocolate, or whipped cream. Store up to 3 days in the fridge.