Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Chicken Cordon Bleu SoupCourse: Main CourseCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil divided
1/2 large onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
1/3 cup flour
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups half and half
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups cooked and cubed ham
2 cups shredded Rotisserie chicken
1 russet potato peeled and chopped into ½” cubes
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme
1/4 tsp EACH red pepper flakes, pepper
2 cups (8 oz.) Swiss cheese shredded
salt to taste (I sub part chicken bouillon)
chopped parsley optional
4 cups cubed French bread
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of salt
- Melt butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven/soup pot. Increase heat to medium high and add onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle in flour and cook, while stirring, an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in chicken, ham and potatoes. Add chicken broth. Whisk cornstarch with half and half (you can whisk with as little as 1/2 cup milk, just enough so it dissolves) and add to pot. Stir in Dijon, bay leaves and all seasonings.
- Increase heat to high, cover pot and bring to a boil. Remove lid and reduce heat to a gentle simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in Swiss Cheese until melted.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste (salt will depend on how salty your ham was to start with). Add additional half and half for a less “chunky” soup if desired and warm through.
- Garnish individual servings with croutons and fresh parsley (optional).
- While the soup is simmering make your croutons. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F degrees. Add bread to a foil lined baking sheet (for easy clean up). Drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic powder and salt. Toss until evenly coated then spread into an even layer on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.